The journey, not the arrival, matters. T.S. Elliot

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Chapter 2 - Day 21 and 22 - Relaxation day and a roadrunner

 The Bundick Lake RV Resort was nice. We stayed two nights and didn't venture out. The park was nice, Leelu made a friend with a free-roaming pup from another camper. The sunset was beautiful last night and we slept great.




Oh, and there were crawfish mounds... took some research to figure out what they were. I thought for a bit that they were dung beetle mounds, but nope. Crawfish. In the yard. 


Also, more things are in bloom the farther south I go.



This morning Leelu was up early, which means I was as well. I filled our fresh water tank, got us unhooked and off on an adventure we went.

My goal was to see a few things that are called out on Google Maps for 'things to do'. Which I'm learning is sometimes a misnomer. The list today was DeRidder Gothic Jail, the Civil War breastworks near there and then Wolf Rock Cave

DeRidder was adorable. The jail was smaller and tucked right into the town. I was expecting it to be outside the town. 

The Jail





The breastworks weren't marked and Google took me to to private land and a bridge I couldn't cross. So that was a strike out.

The cave was an interesting place to get to. I ventured onto about 15 miles of gravel and/or sand roads. To be honest, those roads weren't as bumpy as some of the 'paved' ones nearby.






I saw a roadrunner on the side of the road, a vulture-eaten armadillo, two monarch butterflies and a bull who had broken out of his pen.




Then off to Snow White Sanctuary, a HarvestHosts location. I've found my spirit place. Free roaming horses, puppies, peacocks, chickens, pigs, goats... And a freaking pond with lilly pads, turtles and frogs.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 4 - Weekend 2 - Hazlitt's and Friend Matt's Camp

 7/12-7/14 Ben suggested a quick weekend, which I jumped on. In scanning over Harvest Hosts for a quick location I nearly shouted with exci...