The journey, not the arrival, matters. T.S. Elliot

Thursday, February 22, 2024

Chapter 2 - Day 11 and 12 Not much to report

 From Landry Vineyard we headed to a really interesting place, Poverty Point World Heritage Site. It's unique in it's human habitation age for North America. If you're into archeology look it up. Leelu and I walked around some of it.






Then we headed back across Monroe, LA to get to Russell Sage Wildlife Management area to do some primitive camping. And I mean that in pretty much every letter of the word. This was the first really remote dispersed camping area I'd tried. And well... it was remote. I knew it was going to be a little different than Corney Lake. But I wasn't prepared to see a literal clearing. But, I made it work and slept great.




Meandering into the area was fun, I love driving along back roads to see what's around. Churches, graveyards, businesses... it's all cool to see especially when it's different than home. Once we entered the WMA we were on well tended, freshly grated dirt/stone roads. The one that circles the camping area was rough in a couple of spots. I definitely wouldn't try it in a car. But, being the only ones there we drove around it completed and found the flattest, driest area we could. 

Now. The coolest thing about this place is... bears. Yes, bears. Every review I read across multiple sites all mentioned bears. So, I happily put out my Ring doorbell and hoped I'd get woken in the night with a little chime announcing furry visitors. No such luck, though. Which was a bummer. 

In the morning we'd run out of dogfood so we ventured back into civilization to hang out at a Tractor Supply for a few hours while I worked. They were super friendly and Leelu came out of there with a belly full of treats. We were parked next to a pickup truck that needed to leave before I could swing out of there. The owner decided to sit in his truck for long enough that I thought perhaps he'd gone to sleep or died. What? He sat there for two hours. In his truck.

He wasn't dead, eventually he did move and we got to do the same. I'm heading toward Shreveport for the weekend which means... you didn't guess it... I'm camping for the night behind Bonnie and Clyde Museum in Gibsland. Tomorrow at lunch I'll tour the place and get lunch at the cafe next door.

The parking spot is sloped. In literally every direction. But I did find a spot that was mostly okay and got myself level. I worked and Leelu watched people walking, biking, 4-wheeling and driving by.

Pics to come in the next post of where I am, what the building looks like, etc. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 4 - Weekend 2 - Hazlitt's and Friend Matt's Camp

 7/12-7/14 Ben suggested a quick weekend, which I jumped on. In scanning over Harvest Hosts for a quick location I nearly shouted with exci...