The journey, not the arrival, matters. T.S. Elliot

Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Chapter 3 - Day 24 - Pando Tree and Big Altitudes

 4/24/24

It's getting harder to remember even a single day. They're all glomming together in snapshots of cool vistas, red rocks and beautiful weather. I seriously had to think about where I slept last night before writing this. I'm not sure that's a sign that I've been in the same state for too long, that my brain is getting foggy, or that there's just so much each day that it truly feels like every day is a week.

Anywho, I do remember where I spent the night, Mystic Hot Springs. My adventure this morning started out with some worksies, then some driving during my 'lunch' and some more worksies from a really awesome BLM area before... right, now the days not over... before heading back a few miles to the RV park I'm sleeping in.

The drive from Mystic Hot Springs to Thousand Lakes RV Resort really wasn't long. Maybe an hour? I did a short but awesome side trip up a side road to see the Pando Aspen Tree (which is a very large grove of saplings all belonging to the same 'tree'). World's largest Tree. 9000 years old! Coves 106 acres at 8900ft elevation. 




There was still snow and ice. The puddle where we parked was iced over.


Hit the highest summit so far at 9066ft. 


Then drove the few minutes off the mountain to Torrey, UT. An adorable town that I'll take pics of tomorrow when I leave. But this is the starting point for Capitol Reef National Park as well, so I'll be back here in a few days with Ben.

Anywho, I needed to finish working and stumbled across a great BLM place that we'll be camping at next week. Picture can't do it justice, but it was gorgeous.


THEN, I headed back a few miles to the RV park. I did some laundry and looked for the best navajo taco place someplace we'll be next week. I didn't know this existed, so down a foodie rabbit hole I went. I'm excited to try them. I love me some bready taco stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 4 - Weekend 2 - Hazlitt's and Friend Matt's Camp

 7/12-7/14 Ben suggested a quick weekend, which I jumped on. In scanning over Harvest Hosts for a quick location I nearly shouted with exci...