The journey, not the arrival, matters. T.S. Elliot

Saturday, February 10, 2024

Chapter 2 - Reservations, Tickets and Arrival Times

 This trip I'm using a couple other apps I'm not sure I've really talked about. HarvestHosts should be very familiar to you already, but I'm using Dyrt and Hipcamps this trip as well as finding campsites, paying, through Campendium.


HarvestHosts is by far my go to for finding places to stay. They do the work of many of me, finding, securing and onboarding great locations. My favorite type so far is out of the way farms, but I'm trying out some interesting museums and vineyards this trip. If you haven't read the post about what boondocking is I'll give you a short tutorial and explain WHY someone would use an app like HarvestHosts and the benefits of it.

Boondocking is a rather neat concept for those that can and like camping without amenities like water or electric hookups. It opens the world to a camper if they're willing to be prepared. You can go as rustic as you'd like, staying in pre-assigned dispersed camping areas within National and State parks, or go a little more modern and find businesses that will allow you to dry camp. Dry camping, just another term for boondocking, takes a little more planning because you usually won't have access to potable (drinkable) water, toilets or electric. And you won't have access to dump sites. For a seasoned camper it's really not that much more work, honestly from a setup perspective it's easier.

An additional step up, in my opinion, to this idea is what HarvestHosts offers. They've compiles a list of thousands of museums, churches, businesses, homes and farms that are looking to allow campers to park and hang out on their property. HH has a yearly fee, list I think is about $99 but they are always running specials, that covers your use of their app and reservation/chat system. Once you book a location the expectation is that you either give a donation or purchase something from the host. Not a huge issue when you're staying someplace neat, going into a museum, or paying for electric. So far I haven't had a single issue finding something I'd like for myself or others at each location.



Dyrt is an app that offers a little more. They have dump sites, free parking locations (like Walmarts and BassPro) and allow for booking reservations at campground either immediately or will send you to the website. I like Dyrt for a few things, like finding well reviewed BLM or dispersed camping areas within National and State lands. I also use Dyrt for finding dump sites. They're a great one stop shop if you're not looking to camp in someone's yard.



Campendium is pretty similar to Dyrt. They offer much of the same things but Campendium seems to be more geared to RV'ers. I also reference this app for dump sites or other tidbits while planning.



I almost forgot Hipcamp. This is a neat app that allows normal people to create and host a campground or site in their own backyards, charge a little money for the stay and find really eco-conscious folks to book. If you wanted to put a single yurt on your property Hipcamp is another avenue to rent that out vs airbnb or the like.

For almost all options, unless you're pulling up into State land, you'll be communicating with the host/owner about arrival times, gate codes, etc. Respect and timeliness are key. You're going to be living, even if that's only a few hours, on someone else's property. They're allowing you to invade, make noise, potty your dogs, etc. The respectful thing is to communicate. Arrival times sometimes are dictated by the location, like a standard campground. Some are dictated by the hosts. Almost always they'd like to know when you're arriving to ensure they have someone available to help direct you and answer questions.

Once you've found your stays it's time to find the THINGS TO DO. In some instances that's nothing. A good ol' day of just camping. In most cases for me I have at least one destination in mind. If that location requires admission I research open and close times and if I can purchase ticket online. For some of the things I like to do having a ticket in hand isn't an issue. The locations are small enough that a mid-week visit isn't going to be busy. BUT, if you're going to a location that is busy all week long and you have a small window of time to attend... buy a ticket on line. Yes, if your plans change you're out that money. Yes, it's restricting your day and timeline. But trust me when I tell you, there is nothing like rolling into someplace you want to tour or see and find out that you can't. Buy the ticket.

Another tidbit for you. PDF the tickets, receipts, etc and throw them all into a Google folder. Just in case you have to show something you have easy access to it and aren't scrolling through a million emails or pictures. A screenshot of the ticket information works as well, but I put that in the same folder. And, of course, I track what I've purchased.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 4 - Weekend 2 - Hazlitt's and Friend Matt's Camp

 7/12-7/14 Ben suggested a quick weekend, which I jumped on. In scanning over Harvest Hosts for a quick location I nearly shouted with exci...