The journey, not the arrival, matters. T.S. Elliot

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Chapter 2 - Day 16 - Civil war site and internet issues

 Leaving the farm this morning to a wonderfully sunny and breezy day. We're headed to Natchez, LA just south of Natchitoches (pronounced nak-eh-dish). Two days in an RV park with all the hookups. 

I needed to get propane and stopped at a Love's outside Mansfield. So glad I did. Exiting the highway I saw a sign for Mansfield Civil War Historical Site. I hadn't run across that in all my searches for things to do, but I'm a bit of a history buff... Detour Activated. 

I'm so glad I did. This is the first Civil War location I've visited in the Confederacy. I told the guide that I'd grown up learning about the Civil War from a Union perspective. He found that entertaining and said my tour would be educational. It was. If you'd like to see the whole set of photos let me know and I'll invite you to a Google folder.

Mansfield was one of the last battles in the Red River campaign during toward the end of the war. I'm doing some research into the battles to beef up my knowledge and will try to hit a few more sites on my travels.


















We drove through Natchitoches to our new spot, Natchitoches Pecan Orchard RV Park. Not a HarvestHosts location. This is a full service RV park. Two nights here to fill up batteries, water, dump waste, etc. Then off to Valentine Lake for a couple of days. I'm starting my southern push into the state now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 4 - Weekend 2 - Hazlitt's and Friend Matt's Camp

 7/12-7/14 Ben suggested a quick weekend, which I jumped on. In scanning over Harvest Hosts for a quick location I nearly shouted with exci...