The journey, not the arrival, matters. T.S. Elliot

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Chapter 1 - T-Minus 4 Days

 I'm double and triple checking plans today. I'm using a few different apps and sites for the locations we'll be staying each night. That's part of the fun for me, but I need to have quick access to phone numbers, emails, etc for the contacts at each location... just in case. And, in case we don't have cell service at the moment I need to contact them I have the information in my paper calendar too. 



What?! You don't create a key for your trip planning? 


Sunday morning we're heading to the southern end of Ohio for two nights at the very cool looking Camp Cedar. Most of the fun 'camping' things will be too cold to enjoy, but I plan on swinging through there again this fall to enjoy them. We'll be doing our dewinterization there, flushing pipes, sanitizing the water tank, etc. It's not terribly complicated but needing water and sewer hook up makes it that much easier.

Tuesday morning we'll be heading to Auburn, KY. Well, really Tuesday morning at checkout we'll go find a Walmart with a big parking lot to work from until we can head to Kentucky to stay at a historic house that now contains a small free library, Hadden House. Just one of the cool stops I booked using HarvestsHost. It'll be our first 'during the work week' travel day. I've tested and retested out internet, electric, etc. We'll be fine but it's still the unknown.


Photo from HarvestsHost website

Internet is another interesting topic. I've reviewed the use of 'pucks' or hotspots from all the major cellular companies, StarLink vs other satellite companies. and quite a few 'for campers' internet providers. The results were mixed across the board, until I found two different for-mobile plans. TravlFi and Solis. Both are multi-cellular platform companies that have gadgets that can hook to and use different cellular companies. Basically if AT&T has better reception we'll be using that one day, and Verizon another. In the end I went with TravlFi because I could get a wifi enabled router that my mimo antenna could hook to. Trust me, I'll do a post on all of that jargon, with photos, in a few days. 

So, how are we dealing with not having electric? Ah, great question. I have a GoalZero power bank that can be charged while we're driving, with electric hookup at our stops, or via solar. That heavy little power pack is going to be a life saver. I can charge my laptop, secondary screen, phone and more from it each day when we aren't plugged into electric someplace. There's also the generator, if needed, but it can be loud and I really am going to avoid it when we can.

More to come... Likely not until Sunday evening when we're settled in Ohio. First trip pics, setup and chaos sure to come. Oh, and I found a bird identification chart we can use everywhere in the U.S. Feel free to use this on any of your trips. :-D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 4 - Weekend 2 - Hazlitt's and Friend Matt's Camp

 7/12-7/14 Ben suggested a quick weekend, which I jumped on. In scanning over Harvest Hosts for a quick location I nearly shouted with exci...