The journey, not the arrival, matters. T.S. Elliot

Thursday, January 11, 2024

Chapter 1 - Harvesthosts for the win - Hadden House, Auburn, KY

 I promised, didn't I, that I'd post something about boondocking and the websites I'm using? No fear, that time is now, or at least the first one is now. 

A word about boondocking first. It's a cool term for dry camping. You are self sufficient while camping and will not, usually, have access to electric, water or sewer. Trust me, this is far more complicated than it sounds. Power in your camper is 12V unless you are hooked up to electric. Which means? Nothing 'normal' will work if plugged in. Computer? Nope. Wifi? Nope. AND you will fill your grey tank super quick if you don't plan for capturing dish water, etc and dumping it into the toilet. Also, your hot water will be pulling from your propane. Not a huge deal unless it's say 30 degrees out and you need heat more than you need hot water. You can always run your generator, but that in itself adds some wrinkles because it's going to draw from your normal gas tank, be a little noisy, and put wear on your generator.

But, if you're brave enough to try it, and find you like the freedom, boondocking is really cool. The experiences it opens up without adding cost is well worth doing it at least a few nights each trip.

Last night was the first night we spent using HarvestHosts, a boondocker's dream way to find places to crash for a night. The way it works is simple. You sign up for a year and get access to over 9000, yes, nine THOUSAND, locations across the US you can stay a night for free. This can be someone's driveway, in a restaurant's parking lot, at a museum, church, vineyard, brewery, etc. 

Now, yes, that's true... you pay for the year's subscription so is it technically free? No. But the year cost me $69. Normal price is $99 but they run specials all the time.

Let's do the math, shall we? One night at the cheapest camp site I can find is $25. So in three stays I've paid for the year. Everything else after that is what? Free.

Okay, back to my thoughts before you so rudely interrupted me. :D

HarvestHosts basically gives you an interactive map, details about locations, and a reservation process. They also give you a way to communicate directly with the locations to ask questions, get directions, or whatever else you need. For example one of our stays offers laundry service (YES, REALLY) so I've communicated that we absolutely want that!

 I'll walk you through it.

1. Look at the map and find locations around where you want to stop. For this example I was looking for someplace around Bowling Green, KY



2. Check out the locations, read reviews, and see what they have to offer for goodies. Most locations have goods, services, and other things for sale. 



3. Pick a location and request a reservation

Note: This is the page for where I'm sitting right now. :D

4. Get confirmation that you're all set 



5. Plan trip

I'll keep adding more to the rest of ours nights at locations like this, but it was super amazingly easy.

Love and hugs,

Mother and spawn




No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 4 - Weekend 2 - Hazlitt's and Friend Matt's Camp

 7/12-7/14 Ben suggested a quick weekend, which I jumped on. In scanning over Harvest Hosts for a quick location I nearly shouted with exci...