The journey, not the arrival, matters. T.S. Elliot

Sunday, January 14, 2024

Chapter 1 - Day 8 - Frozen pipes, leaking tire and a prison museum

 Picture this. 2am, you get up and notice the water is still dripping nicely from the faucet in the bathroom. Go back to sleep and 6am rolls around. Panic sets in because what DON'T you hear? The dripping. Our pipes froze in the camper. 

PANIC ** Vulgarities ** More PANIC

Okay, not really panic, but I wasn't happy. So I got Clay up, we quickly disembarked to points south of Dallas post haste. What I probably hadn't mentioned yet is that our driver's side front tire has had a slow leak since day 3. Nothing major. Every day I add a few pounds to it when I get gas. No big deal. Until it is.

Driving out of Dallas I'm watching the tire pressure quickly going down, about a pound of pressure every ten miles. Doesn't sound like a lot, but when you're driving 200 miles a day that's a lot. We stopped to fill up on gas, propane and air. Good. Now to drive more, right? Nope. I was getting about a pound loss every 5 miles.

I have an adorable jump pack, or that's what I call it, with a pump. So, we park in a gas station, jump pack working its little heart out and I start calling around to find someplace to plug whatever freaking hole I have.

Amazon photo


Texas on Sunday? Yeah, mostly closed but I found a nice company that sat on the phone with me for about ten minutes looking for a truck shop that was able to help. Off to Fairfield we went, and am so happy we found Texas Towing & Tire Service. They came to the shop, even though it was closed, and helped me out.

From their website

By the way, it wasn't a hole. It was the valve stem. See, I have sensors that tell me the tire pressure, right, which is great. But the driver's side front tire isn't staying locked tight all the time. He tightened it right up, showed me how to get to it if this starts again, and then coached me on backing out of the garage without taking off my mirror. What? Sometimes I forget just how BIG this thing is. LOL

Sorta what I have and the issue is at the connection.


We're parked for the night at the Texas Prison Museum. If you like Ghost Adventures they did an episode here. We'll see Ol' Sparky tomorrow when we go in for a look see.

Borrowed from someone's review


Oh, and when Clay tested the water once we were parked, it's fine. I looked for leaks and can't see anything damaged. So. Phew. Missed a crazy issue there. 

Good night everyone. Work, school and prison stuff tomorrow.

Mother and the Spawn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 4 - Weekend 2 - Hazlitt's and Friend Matt's Camp

 7/12-7/14 Ben suggested a quick weekend, which I jumped on. In scanning over Harvest Hosts for a quick location I nearly shouted with exci...