The journey, not the arrival, matters. T.S. Elliot

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Chapter 3 - Day 13 - Winery and southern grapes

 4/13/24

I left Will Roger's Museum mid-morning and headed toward Drumright, OK and the cool Tidewater Winery. A lovely HarvestHost location on a quiet country road. On the way out of Claremore I grabbed a bag of Daylight Donuts, a staple of Route 66 since 1954.



I stopped at the Blue Whale, a famous roadside attraction. It was cute. You can feed the turtles or catch-n-release fish with worms in the pond surrounding it. Throughout and around Tulsa there are a ton of famous spots. I took photos at the Route 66 Heritage Village, that isn't a village at all but it definitely had some cool railroad items as well as a couple of very knowledgeable docents in the information building.
























Drove by the Route 66 Neon Sign Park and was let down by the actual lack of signs, but it's a neat idea.




As most of you are aware I hale from the Central NY/Lakeshore vineyard areas of NY. Which means, I love me a good Riesling or Vignoles. But the grapes that can grow well in New York are NOT the same varieties in Oklahoma. For good reason. My favorite cold-weather grapes need that cold snap to be happy.

So, I was excited to taste some South American varieties. I got my wish and walked out with eight bottles of wine. 

The evening was windy, very, very windy. I'm not sure Leelu or I slept well at all, but that comes with the camping territory. Not much we can do about the weather. Oh, and it was pretty hot throughout the night as well. Thankfully Tidewater offered electric and water. 

In the morning we're heading to New Mexico. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 4 - Weekend 2 - Hazlitt's and Friend Matt's Camp

 7/12-7/14 Ben suggested a quick weekend, which I jumped on. In scanning over Harvest Hosts for a quick location I nearly shouted with exci...